"Spill-Proof Gas Cans: Better for you and the Environment"
What is a spill-proof gas can?
A fuel container that:
· Automatically shuts off when the target tank is full;
· Automatically closes and seals when removed from the tank;
· Remains closed and sealed when not dispensing fuel;
· Has only one opening for both filling and pouring; and
· Is made from a material that reduces gas vapors that permeate the container.
Why is a spill-proof gas can better?
· Saves Fuel (and money!)-fuel can leak, spill and evaporate from
conventional gas cans.
· Protects Your Family's Health--gasoline vapors contain a number of
toxic compounds that can be harmful to your health.
· Child-Safe-spill-proof gas cans can protect children from accidental
spills and ingestion.
· Better Indoor Air-spill-proof cans reduce the odors and vapors that
conventional cans release into the air in your car, garage or shed.
· Better Outdoor Air-spill-proof gas cans reduce the amount of vapors
released into the air, vapors that contribute to ground-level ozone ("smog").
· Protects Water-small gasoline spills can contaminate well water with
Do I have to buy a spill-proof gas can?
No. But new spill-proof gas cans will become increasingly more common on store
shelves. Beginning January 1, 2004, Maine retailers may only sell spill-proof
gas cans, once their existing stock of regular gas cans is depleted. You can
continue to use your old gas can for as long as it lasts, but you may want to
consider replacing it to protect your family's health.
What do I do with my old can?
If you choose to replace a leaky old can with a new spill-proof model, make sure
that you use up all the gas in the old container (do not pour it out on the
ground) and then air out the flammable vapors before you dispose of it as solid